This year the ELS classes at Cumberland are making polymer clay pens to give as a holiday gift to someone special. I have done this project with numerous groups, and they always turn out GREAT! Here are the directions, and a link for a spiral pen that can be found on the Sculpey website.
The people at Polyform have been very generous to our school, and donated a lot of clay to us. I have a lifetime supply of the four colors shown in the picture below. If you would like to try this project at home, please see me and I will give you some clay!
Bic Round Stick Pens (it has to be this kind, as others will melt when baked)
1. Use the pliers to pop the ink out of the center of the round stick pen.
2. Knead Sculpey clay to soften.
3. Push clay all over the pen (except the opening) however you would like using coils and mixing clay together to make interesting designs in the clay.
4. Roll out to smooth the clay. Make keep pressing the clay against the pen, as it comes loose when rolling.
5. When covered, preheat oven to 250 degrees.
6. Bake for 15 minutes at 250. Be careful to not over bake the pens, as they will burn.
7. Let cool, and put the ink back in the center.
8. Wrap them up and give as a gift!